Monday 21 February 2011

EDAW begins today

Today marks the start of Norfolk Eating Disorders Awareness Week and I'm going on Radio Norfolk today at 12pm to speak about anorexia in men.

I must say how disappointed I am in B-eat, the eating disorders charity about their campaign surrounding imagery this year. Not only did they wheel out another teenage girl to highlight the issue of eating disorders, their arguments are fundementally flawed. They claim that media images of people of low weight cause more harm than good.

I beg to differ.

The picture below tells more than a thousand words. It shows that recovery is possible. It is a picture of hope, of survival. It is a warning, that eating disorders ruin lives - that it takes you to death's door and they kill if they aren't challenged and beaten.



Sorry B-eat, but if you claim that I am doing more harm than good by wanting my picture to be used in the media as a lesson as to the damage anorexia does then I think you're wrong. If it stops just ONE person from developing anorexia then it is a victory.

Oh, and stop wheeling out girls to highlight your campaigns. You've done it now for years and all it does is just reinforce the stereotype that eating disorders are not something men ever deal with.

In the meantime, please continue to sign my petition to save the Norfolk EDA!

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment